Accountability and Transparency

Accountability and Transparency - driving the change in recordkeeping. Just thought I should share this interesting article with you guys

7 Likes

I am a proponent of building compliance into applications. Humans do not have the energy or time to sit there and make a decision on each record. We have destroyed productivity with today’s tools and requirements. The advances in machine learning makes the automation of security, classification, retention, etc. far more favorable in getting it done then all the training, policies, job aids, etc., in getting the human to do it.

2 Likes

This article really outlines why Feith Systems exists, why we believe what we believe, and why we do what we do.

“Compliant-by-default”, as the article puts it, is really the only way to manage the levels of records that a lot of these big organizations have.

In some of the largest agencies we support, we are dealing with millions of records. Managing them manually would be, frankly, impossible.

3 Likes

There are fine systems. That is the issue for many. You buy X to create records but the tools are not there to auto manage it. So you have to buy X system as a bolt on or ‘repository’ for another six or seven figures. More cost that you have to build in your pricing. That hard dollar spend is a deal breaker for many. That’s why so few companies bought bolt on’s for their email system.

1 Like

Having file cabinet records seems to be the common way of record keeping. Although, we are semi electronic we still keep paper records. I, personally at the end of each year have to pull all documents from the filing cabinets to archive. My process is to check each document to make sure it is scanned correctly in our system. If we are scanning documents and checking them before attaching to our systems then why do we need the paper copy? This has been a debate for as long as I have been in records. I find each day that our staff will scan a document and it is in fact in the system but they did NOT check their scan before attaching. I have found documents that are folded and only half of the content is showing, documents turned sideways and even documents scanned upside down so only the blank side is showing in the system. I guess having the paper copies onsite for final checking at the end of the year is a good idea but it is very time consuming.

1 Like

Hi Heather,
I agree it is time consuming. You have people who for whatever reason are not referencing their systems which defeats the purpose of investing in the technology. Scanning is suppose to promote efficiency by making information readily available for authorized users. Hence the need to have stringent verification in the process early to reduce the “keep paper just in case” scenario. Cost savings cannot be realized if you are still having to store and manage paper in addition to the efiles. After such an investment, the only paper that is scanned and retained beyond retention timeframe should be those identified as permanent with historical significance for transfer to your archives.

3 Likes

Ephemeral message link for Spring 18 Class 3

Does anyone have examples of policy written to include or exclude ephemeral specifically?

Especially for public sector in US.