Data Classification; what's your take on it

Data Classification, I’ve seen and heard of lots of squabbles and hen house fights centered around who’s task is this? Information Management, Information Security, IT, Records Management. Where do you begin (aside from the fact that you must be on the same page as to what is data) You don’t need to confuse the users who are already struggling to learn document codes and retention time frames and just want access to the information they need to do their job

1 Like

Hen houses fights? LOL, my sides are still hurting. If you mean the end game is a taxonomy so everything lines up regardless of who has it, RIM and IT need to collaborate. Both have understandings of the information that exits and may have a list or the retention schedule that may be a starting point. It’s depth and length are key decisions points along with who will use it, why, how, which can turn out to be quite a task. If there is a lot of friction, it may be best to collaborate on identifying external help to perform the task.

I agree collaboration is key. On the one hand the Information Security team wants to ensure no sensitive/confidential/restricted information is moving around undetected and susceptible to internal or external Breaches. IT wants to ensure the right permissions are in effect based on the role of individuals within the organization so that data is made available only to those with authorized access to it. RIM professionals wants it classified to assist users find the information required to do their job, and maintain the types of data available in accordance with relevant rules that impact its security, retention, and disposition. In some instances terminologies can cloud the issue because each discipline may define concepts differently

1 Like

Terminology is the first thing to tackle and come up with a definition that RIM and IT agree on. Fun words with different interpretations like archive, application/system log, backup, etc., need that common ground. Both sides will be happy that it is done.

1 Like

I totally agree with you in that regard. Terminology can cause unintended confusion