Digital Imaging Projects

Is anyone currently engaged in a digital imaging project or recently completed one? It represents Great Expectations! Between the planning, measuring, monitoring, shifting completion dates etc. what has been your experience thus far?

Hi Naynay,
I’ve done several different types of scanning projects throughout my career. Most of them didn’t focus largely on the completion date, although an estimated date was given according to the volume of documents being scanned and how many resources would be available to provide assistance. We estimated the original volume of documents, timed how long it would take to perform the scanning process for each document in order to estimate how long it would take. We also kept track of the number of scanned images (in pdf mostly) and kept track of the total amount of server space used. We reported the changes in volume, images and server space on a monthly basis, keeping track of the numbers in a spreadsheet. As far as planning we had to decide who was going to perform the scanning and document prep (in-house or contractor), what format we wanted the images saved in (tiff, pdf, pdf/a, etc), how to name them (which was difficult to get consensus on…), how and who should verify the quality of the scan, where to save them, how to audit the filing accuracy, and how or if the documents needed to be disposed of, etc. In each of the in-house projects, the completion timeline remained flexible as other more pressing tasks needed to be completed as well. The key to the success of the project is to communicate what the process is and perform good quality checking. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Varaiche,

Great response! The pointers mentioned are critical in being able to monitor and make timely and efficient adjustments as necessary. As you stated, communication and quality checking can make or break the project. My first scanning project was painful but it got completed with addition equipment, temporary personnel and constant monitoring and adjustments. It is my observation that sometimes deadlines are set without proper consultation with staff actually doing the work. They would have greater appreciation for the labour intensive activities associated with prepping, scanning and validation duties.

I have performed many of the same projects in the past 24 months using the same plan of action and measures as Varaiche. In one of the projects I gave a generous time line, but management wanted it completed more quickly and tapped the budget to bring in an additional temporary staff to complete it in 1/3 time I projected. In addition to extra manpower, I narrowed the scope of the project to meet the deadline. What wasn’t communicated to me directly, was management had made a promise to be digitized by a certain date, and meeting the 1/3 deadline was a high priority. Once I understood the promise management had made, I then knew how to alter the scope of the project to allow management to keep it’s promise. Months later, I re-submitted what I had trimmed from the first project into a 2nd project. As Varaiche indicated, communication is key.

How I don’t know but now a days people talk about streaming data which is processed by big data solutions like Apache spark , flint etc. you can do courses in edx,Udemy etc about it