PDF/A-2B vs. PDF/A-1b

Has anyone had experience converting their PDF records to PDF/A? I am trying to determine if PDF/A-2B or PDF/A-1b is the way to go.

Any insight would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

From what I can tell, here’s the low-down:
PDF/A - 2B adds the requirement that all text in the document be converted to Unicode, which means no non-standard fonts.

Generally, you’ll want every document in Unicode unless you have a specific compliance or record-keeping reason not to.

For example, if you had very old digital documents, and they include a lot of non-unicode text, and your PDF generator was failing because the character set you’re using is so unusual. If this was happening, you’d see a lot of garbled text coming out of PDF/A-2B, and you’d know you had a problem. That’s very unlikely, unless you are using very old and rare technology in a foreign country that doesn’t use the english alphabet.

Generally, go for Unicode, which means go for the PDF/A-2B conformant records.

Thank you that is most helpful, Richard! All of the articles I’ve read didn’t explain it as well as you did.

The PDF Association’s document PDF/A in a Nutshell provides a lot of information. https://www.pdfa.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/PDFA_in_a_Nutshell_211.pdf

2 Likes